We see around 300 applications every day. Put simply, the most effective covering emails are well constructed and succinctly detail the applicant’s objective. A concise and well-formed cover email is absolutely critical.
A few things to bear in mind are:
- You are writing to a human being (usually!) and if you know their name it’s sensible to use it. (Dear Sir, as I am addressed occasionally, doesn’t really do it!)
- Come straight to the point and don’t repeat yourself
- Draft your email, pick it apart and proofread it very carefully before sending
- If you’ve been recommended to apply, mention the introducer early on
- Keep your message clear, brief and cover your relevant skills
- Mention your availability for interview, notice period, salary desired etc.
- You don’t need to repeat all the facts on your CV – but it would be a great idea to give a brief personal profile
- Tailor your profile to the role you are applying for!
- Finally include your availability for interview and your full contact details
- Attach your CV before sending!!